Oudewater as a dwelling site probably originated in the 8th century on a peninsula between the river ‘Hollandse Ijssel’ and the old course of the rivulet Lange Linschoten. In 1265, Hendrik van Vianden, Bishop of Utrecht, granted Oudewater city rights. The new city was part of ‘Het Sticht’ (worldly possessions of the Utrecht diocese), but in 1280 it was rendered by cession to the county of Holland. In its stirring history there have been several disasters, in one of which all archives have been lost.
Thanks to the rope industry Oudewater has become over the years a centre of commerce and prosperity. In the Golden Age (17th century) all ship rigging for the ships sailing to the East Indies came from Oudewater. More on http://touwmuseum.nl/
Leentje Willems lived around the middle of the seventeenth century on the banks of the Lange Linschoten, a small river near Oudewater. One day her neighbors accused Leentje of conjuring up a sick child. She would have done that with a cake that she fed the child. The accusations continued and the life of Leentje became hell. More on https://www.heksenwaag.nl/