Although not the oldest monument, the Raadhuis (Town Hall) located on the Dam Square 1, is well worth a mention. According to a commemorative stone in the hall, it was built by Jacob Jongh, the master in-house carpenter. On 18 May 1737, the first stone was laid by Mr Roelof Boot. The council chamber, the former alderman’s room, survives largely in its original state. The wallpaper, painted in 1738 by W. Rave, pictures the crowning of Solomon’s First Right. The building is home to Edam’s tourist office. The top floor also houses an annexe of the Edam Museum.
The main part of the museum can be found on the Dam Square, located in Edam’s oldest stone house, dating from approximately 1540. In 1895 the house was restored and furnished as a museum. A remarkable point of interest in the Edam museum is part of the house itself, the famous floating cellar. Legend has it, it was apparently the sailor who had the house built, who was the innovator of this buoyant basement. More on http://www.edam-volendam.nl or http://www.edamsmuseum.nl
The Proveniershofje is a rest house dating from 1555 and located opposite the Great Church. Also located here before 1555 were the houses of the Beguines. The Beguines took on the responsibility for educating the young of Edam and nursing the sick. A few years ago, the Beguine houses were comprehensively renovated and are now home to some of Edam’s more senior citizens. Over 400 years ago, in 1558, the priest Matthias Tynicy Matthiasz, who is commemorated in the very name of the street: the Matthijs Tinxgracht, founded the orphanage located on the same street as the Great Church. A building where, during the eighties, the local social services had their base.
The way the building looked before it was altered at the end of 1700 is hardly recognisable today. However, a sign of its past can still be seen in the form of the old coloured stone tablet, framed by a fake Greek temple, which still adorns the façade. This pictures orphaned boys playing an old fashioned game known as ‘kolf’. Above the small gate on the side of the Matthijs Tinxgracht, two orphans are depicted in attire, which can still sometimes be seen in some Frisian towns. More on http://www.edam-volendam.nl
Fort Edam has been built at the beginning of the 20th century as the most north-easterly part of the Stelling van Amsterdam (i.e. the ring of fortifications around Amsterdam) and has since 1996 been listed as Unesco World Heritage. The grounds around the fortress, featuring an original store house and keeper’s house, the surrounding area (the lines of fire) and the surrounding polders have hardly been touched. For a long time, the fortress’ grounds remained inaccessible. That is the reason why the grounds developed into a unique terrain with a huge cultural, historical and natural value. More on http://www.edam-volendam.nl of http://www.fortbijedam.nl/
At the corner of the Eilandsgracht (Island’s Canal) and the Breestraat (Broad Street) stands the oldest wooden house of Edam. It is remarkable that this house has survived the many fires that have raged through Edam during the centuries. It is all the more remarkable, because in order to prevent the fires the city council had proclaimed only to build in stone. Clearly, even these stringent rules could not deter this wooden house to survive until now.
In the Netherlands, the house is a very rare example of gothic wood building and is presumed to have been built around 1530 AD. Indicative for this presumption is the awning, decorated with a gothic arcade and rosettes. The house is totally built from wood, apart from the latter day extension at the rear, which is constructed in stone. The façade, with its up and downwards opening’s.
Amsterdam – Edam/Volendam – De Rijp – Alkmaar – Zaandam – Haarlem – Lisse – (Leiden -) – Woubrugge